Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I want

I was sitting here tonight thinking of all of the things that I want to do and want to get and want to achieve and want to accomplish and want to.... Then I read a blog post of my mothers. A simple post with a few attached letters that she wrote to my brother when he was a boot camp. My mind switched gears all of the sudden to, what about what they (soldiers) want, or what the less fortunate want. I may WANT a lot of things, but what a gift it is to WANT. Rather than NEED. I don't feel like I need much, I have most everything that I would ever need and then some, even if I don't have much, I feel very blessed. But what about those that NEED. Now I am thinking I need to stop for a minute and instead of thinking of what I WANT, I need to think about what others NEED. But I also need to go beyond that and not only think about what others may need, but help them with their needs. I remember when my brother was at war and he sent me a letter and asked me why I didn't write to him that often. My response was that I feared that if I wrote to him it would be admitting to myself that he was really in true danger and that he was really gone. Therefore I continued to deny everything and didn't write. When he finally got home a year and a half later, I asked myself, "why don't we have the same relationship that we had when he left?" Well I realized that it was because I hadn't spoken to him as often as I used to. Where I am going with this is, I decided to make a decision to not write my brother because I didn't want to hurt and feel pain, not at all thinking about the pain and loneliness that he may have been feeling. So I put myself before him and now I am truly sorry for it. I do not have the same relationship that I once had because I missed out on a whole year and a half of time with my brother. I put my wants before someone else's needs. I hope that I can remember this and try and help someone in one way or another every day. Someone once told me that even something as little as a smile or a wave can make someone's day. If that is all I can do for a day then I will at least try to do that. I hope that I haven't bored you all, I just thought I would share a moment with you. I hope you all have a wonderful day! Thanks! :)

4 comments:

Emily said...

I agree 100%. It is so easy to get caught up in the things that we feel we may need, or want... but really, there are so many others that really NEED all the things we may already have.

Jackie said...

This is so true! Thank you Cara.

beth said...

Cara you are always so good at being good!! Thanks for your example!
I want to invite you to my blog - it's private now. What is your email address? You can send it to me at marriedtoachef@gmail.com if you want.

Heidi's Heartland said...

Thanks Cara for you words of wisdom - it is a lesson to all of us. Thank you for posting. Love ya